Home News History Amenities Parish Council Useful Links

 

History

The first written mention of Crowcombe was in 854, in a document of King Ethelwulf who was father of Alfred the Great, where it was spelt 'Cerawicombe'. Fifty years later some land at 'Crawncombe' was granted to Alfred's son, King Edward the Elder, and appears to have remained in the possession of the Saxon kings. The Domesday Book of 1086 gives the name as 'Crawcombe', and on a map of 1610 it is spelt 'Crokam'.

 

The earliest record of 'The Church of The Holy Ghost' dates from 1226, although there  was probably an earlier church dating from Saxon times, and it is believed to be the only church in the country to have this unusual dedication. The first parts to be built were the north wall and the tower, complete with steeple - possibly these were additions to an earlier church. With the exception of the north chapel, the rest of the church is thought to have been built in the early 15th century. The carved bench-ends depict such pagan subjects as the Green Man and the legend of the men of Crowcombe fighting a two-headed dragon. In December of 1724 the spire was struck by lightning causing extensive damage. The top section of the spire is now planted in the churchyard and stone from the spire was used in the flooring of the church.

 

Close to the church is the church house, one of only two in the country still in use as first intended. Originally used for parish functions it later to housed poor of the village on the lower floor and a school on the upper. It has now returned to community use, the ground floor being used as a village hall and the upper to house exhibitions. It is believed that the church house was built in the early 1500's as a single storey building.


Home | News | History | Amenities | Parish Council | Useful Links

Website last updated on Tuesday 21st June 2011

Copyright Crowcombe Parish Council 2004-2011.  Website Designed by Verity Vigars